Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Favorite Holiday

Most people have a favorite holiday, my boys love Christmas (as most children do), my husband's favorite is New Years (which I find quite bizarre) and mine of course is Thanksgiving. I am not sure when I made the decision that Thanksgiving was my favorite Holiday, it is just one of those things that happens and you don't even remember when. I do, however, remember why I like it so, and it isn't just the usual, you don't have to buy presents remark. I remember growing up having Thanksgiving at my Nana's house. Nana hated to cook, but she would be busy stirring butter beans and making mashed potatoes. Both of my Aunts would be there, My aunt Nancy would be dressed up and upset about something not being right. My aunt Teresa would be talking to my mom about family stuff and who was doing what. I would be playing in the house with my cousin and best friend Meaghan waiting patiently for our dinner. There was about 20 people in their small house, some of us were young and some old but we were all family. The real fun was the day after Thanksgiving, when my mom, Nancy, and Teresa would get up at 5:30am to go Black Friday shopping! Nancy would always bring everyone a sausage biscuit from Arby's, we would eat and off to the mall we would go. I really love the memories of Thanksgiving with my family, and even though, we have all gone off and had families of our own and don't have that special holiday together anymore I still want to try hard to give the same since of family and tradition that I loved so much to my boys. May we all be thankful for our families this Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

I'm sorry I missed your call yesterday! I saw it much later and by that time I was in the throes of my "allergy" attack!

I'll tell you later, but I found out that it is definitely "pet dander" that sets the crazy clawing/scratching thing that I have to take benadryl for!

Anyway...this post makes me smile and also sad. BUT it makes me glad too.

Through all the family "dysfunction" you and Meaghan find moments of happiness that you felt secure and loved in...that is such a miracle of GOD.

I love you bunches, Miss Kimberly!
Aunt "Teresa"

TeriAnnElizabeth said...

P.S. I had to "steal" the pictures of the boys first day of school picture! I hope it's ok to post it on my blog soon.
That is so precious! "Little Wade and Little Debbie/Kim"..:-)

Love you,
Teresa